Jul 22, 2019  
Catalogue 2018-2019 
Catalogue 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Physics Major

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to:

Faculty: See Physics and Astronomy Department 

Requirements for the Major:

Nine units above the introductory level, including the six core courses PHYS 200 , PHYS 202 /PHYS 203 , PHYS 210 , PHYS 240 , PHYS 245  and  PHYS 320  and three additional 300-level units. Two of these must be either PHYS 341  or PHYS 375  or two different topics of PHYS 375 . The third unit can be any 300-level course that has a sufficient emphasis on a physics-related topic, as approved by the department (i.e., any PHYS 300-level,  ASTR 320  or ASTR 322 ). Physics/Astronomy double majors may count at most two from ASTR 320 , ASTR 322 , and ASTR 340  towards these 3 additional 300-level units, and must choose the third unit from PHYS 341  and PHYS 375 . In addition to these nine units, students must complete MATH 220 , and MATH 228 . MATH 221  is also strongly recommended. PHYS 200 , PHYS 202 , PHYS 203 , and PHYS 210  should be taken prior to the beginning of the junior year. PHYS 240  and PHYS 320  should be taken prior to the beginning of the senior year.

After the declaration of a physics major, no physics courses or courses counted towards the major may be elected NRO. Prospective majors should consult the department as soon as possible and are strongly advised to elect physics and mathematics as first-year students. Those majors planning on graduate work in physics are strongly advised to complete MATH 221  and additional 300-level Physics courses and students are encouraged to consult with the department concerning other courses in the natural sciences which may supplement the physics major.

Physics Teaching Certification:

Physics majors who wish to obtain Secondary Certification in physics must complete, in conjunction with the program of study outlined by the education department, three additional units beyond the 6 core units. These 3 units must include one chosen from PHYS 341  and PHYS 375 , one as a thesis or independent project (PHYS 300  or PHYS 301 ) and 1/2 unit each of lab development (PHYS 298 ) and lab apprenticeship (PHYS 298 ). Consult Cindy Schwarz.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: